Pensioner Housing Information Brochure (304KB)
To be eligible for consideration for a unit you must
- Be a New Zealand citizen or hold New Zealand Permanent Residency
- Be 60 years of age or older and reliant on a benefit , or
- Be 55 years and over and reliant on a sickness benefit
- Be retired from full time work
- Have assets of less than $25,000 for a single applicant and $45,000 for a couple—this includes the value of any major
- asset sold within 5 years of applying
- Have an income of less than $25,000 for a single applicant and $45,000 for a couple.
- Be in need of long-term accommodation
- Capable of living independently
Applying for a Unit
- You will need an application pack – either collect one from Council or we can post a pack to you or download the following application documents:-
- Complete the forms and attach the relevant documentation. Post or drop off to Rotorua District Council.
- Once we have received the completed documents an appointment will be made for you to discuss your application with the Community Services officer. Your interview (by appointment only) will be held at the Civic Centre, 1061 Haupapa Street.
- Council will review your application to make sure you meet the eligibility criteria and that you have attached all the necessary information
- After your interview, your application will either be declined or accepted
- If accepted, your name will be added to the waiting list. We will not be able to advise how long the waiting time will be; this depends on individual circumstances. It is important that Council has up-to-date information
- If your details (phone number or address) or circumstances change after your interview, while you are waiting for a unit, please let Council know.