Want to save on your dog registration fee?
- advise the council where you registered your dog that you have moved
- write to the council in your new area to let them know that you and your dog are living in the district. You need to do this within 6 weeks, in writing.
Your new district council will add your dog to their register and give you a local registration tag or disc free of charge.
Involved in changing the ownership of a dog?
- remove a collar bearing a registration tag or disc from a dog
- attach to any dog a tag or disc that has been issued to another dog
- make a false application when registering a dog
- make a counterfeit disc or tag or have in your possession a tag or disc resembling a current registration tag.
- Offences relating to dog registration can lead to fines of up to $3000.00.
Change of Owner Form (135KB)
Back to top
Lost your dog tag?
- Can be requested and paid for online via this site on the Dogs Online section, or
- Can be collected from the Rotorua Lakes Council Civic Centre, or
- Can be applied for via email, fax or post.
Download the Request for Dog Tag Replacement Form below and email, fax or post to Rotorua Lakes Council, Civic Centre, 1061 Haupapa St, Private Bag 3029, Rotorua Mail Centre, Rotorua 3046
A replacement tag or disc will not be issued until payment has been received. Credit Card payments may be taken over the phone.
If Your Dog Dies
Notification of Microchipping
Dogs required by law to be microchipped are:
- All dogs registered for the very first time after July 2006, except working farm dogs.
- Dogs classified as dangerous or menacing on or after 1 December 2003.
- Dogs that get impounded and are unregistered.
- Dogs that are registered but get impounded more than once.